Tri-State Reciprocal Riding in N.H., Vt. & Maine This Weekend
Colebrook News and Sentinel
January 22, 2013

Snowmobilers are invited to explore some new territory this weekend, January 25-27, during a reciprocal riding weekend in New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine.

All snowmobiles legally registered in Vermont and Maine may be ridden on New Hampshire trails during the three-day open weekend. All other New Hampshire laws and rules regarding the operation of snowmobiles must be followed, such as speed limits and youth operation standards.

Snowmobiles legally registered in New Hampshire may be operated in Vermont and Maine during the reciprocal weekend. Riders must comply with all other Vermont and Maine snowmobile laws and rules, including Vermont's mandatory liability insurance, safety education certification (if born after July 1, 1983), and youth operation requirements.

In addition to a law that passed in 2010 for the Vermont-New Hampshire reciprocity weekend, a new law passed in 2011 includes Maine, as well. The reciprocal riding event will occur annually on the fourth weekend in January (Friday through Sunday) provided that all neighboring states continue to participate.

More information on snowmobiling in New Hampshire, is available on-line from N.H. Fish & Game at; the N.H. Bureau of Trails at; or the New Hampshire Snowmobile Association at

Information on snowmobiling rules in Vermont is available from the Vermont Association of Snow Travelers, at, and the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife offers information about rules in Maine, at

Québec Free Riding Weekend

The Québec Federation of Snowmobile Clubs (FCMQ) will soon follow suit, welcoming U.S. riders to an "open house" weekend of free access to trails on Saturday and Sunday, February 9 and 10.

No trail pass is required for the Québec trail system during this special weekend, but the laws and regulations governing snowmobile use in the province must be followed. Complete information may be found on-line at Also on the site is a list of local clubs, where riders who wish to ride all season in Québec may join and purchase a seasonal or temporary trail pass.

Canadian law requires that anyone entering Canada carry both proof of citizenship and proof of identity. A valid U.S. passport, passport card or NEXUS card satisfies these requirements for U.S. citizens. Complete information is available on the Canadian citizenship and immigration Web site,

For re-entry into the United States by land, all U.S. citizens are required to present a valid passport, passport card, NEXUS card, Enhanced Driver's License, or other Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)-compliant document.

The only exception is for those under the age of 16, who must present a birth certificate (original, photocopy or certified copy), Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or naturalization certificate. More information is available on the U.S. State Department's travel site,


 [WMRR Home]